Vamberk

HISTORY

The first mention of Vamberk is from 1341 but, according to archaeological findings the people lived there in antiquity. From the time of the Middle Ages weapons, jewellery and coins were found.

The 16th century is unclear because of lack of findings. Later Vamberk became the economic and cultural centre of this region. There are relics about church from 1350 and castle from the 15th century.

In the time of the Thirty Years War Vamberk was attacked and almost destroyed. In 18th century, the town begun to prosper again under the control of the Kolowrats. In the time of the Renaissance, there were many cultural and educational guilds. 200 year old tradition is amateur theatre. In the cemetery, there are the tombs of the Matěj Kopecký family.

After the Second World War, stove machinery, textiles and meatpacking were developed. Vamberk became the machinery centre and one of the most industrial and cultural towns in the region.

HAND-MADE BOBBIN LACE

At first, there was only home-made production of lace, but later it was expanded world-wide by Magdalena Grambowa. The mummy of Magdalena Grambowa is preserved in the church crypt.

Popularity for this lace was at the end of the 18th century its peak in the 19th century. The lace became the bread and butter of the entire foothills of the Eagle Mountains. Presently, it is the most popular and successful lace (known as Vamberk´s lace Vamberk) - Expo Brusel, Expo Montreal.

SIGHTS OF HISTORICAL INTEREST AND LANDMARKS

- St. Barbora church, the oldest church founded in 1697
- St. Prokop church, burned down in 1898 period, there is only a Gothic monstrance from the 15th century remaining now
- Crypt with mummy (e.g. Magdalena Grambowa)
- Cemetery and Jewish cemetery
- stone bridge
- Renaissance fountain from 1869 in the square with gargoyle and statues named after the 4 year seasons
- Column from 1699
- sculpture of the Mielnická family from the 18th century period - statues of Vamberk
- Memorial monument of the First World War - built in 1928 by František Rous
- statue of Mr. Jan Hus - from 1904, Jan Kalvoda
- hanging sheltered bridge in Peklo nad Zdobnicí - from 1840 (important Czech technical historical interest)

PERSONALITIES

Jan Václav Hugo Voříšek, *11. 5. 1791 +19. 11. 1825
- piano player
- organist
- composer - symphony D dur from 1821
- each year Voříšek´s Vamberk - musical event is held, competition among young organists

Josef Richard Vilímek, *1. 4. 1835 +27. 12. 1911
- publisher
- author of Humoristické listy
- Member of Parliament

František Hajniš, *31. 3. 1815 +1876
- writer
- humorist

Dr. Josef Kalousek, *2. 4. 1838 +22. 11. 1925
- historian
- associate professor of Charles University
- cooperation with František Palacký

Augustin Vyskočil, *4. 8. 1852 +14. 2. 1922
- conductor of National Theatre
- associate professor of conservatory
- singer
- piano virtuoso

Pavel Ludikar - Vyskočil, *1882 +1967
- opera singer (before the Second World War)
- piano virtuoso
- Metropolitan Opera, New York

Earl Dr. František Lützow, *21. 3. 1849 +13. 1. 1916
- diplomat
- writer
- associate professor of Charles University and Oxford University
- honorary member of Prague, Vamberk

PLACES TO GO

Doudleby nad Orlicí

- four wing building from the years 1558 1590
- Baroque layout from 1690 decoration of interiors
- gamekeeper's showpieces

Kostelec nad Orlicí Castle

- Baroque castle rebuilt in 1777
- Empire style 1829 1835
- English green park
- Baroque church with Gothic statue of Madonna
- church cemetery

Častolovice Castle

- in origin a fortress
- Renaissance castle
- 1694 whole manor house bought by Adolf Vratislav from Štenberk
- importantly Knightly hall with Štenberk´s portrait, ceiling with biblical tableau
- English green park

Potštejn Ruins

- 11 kms from Rychnov nad Kněžnou
- built in 1287 for the family of Drslavics
- in 1312, in ruins after the siege
- in 1355 was rebuilt with new ramparts
- legend from 1742 - in search of treasure

Rychnov nad Kněžnou Castle

- at first Baroque castle from 1676 - 1690 - built for František Karel Libštejnský Kolovrat
- adapted in 1722
- gallery with Kolovrat´s portrait

Litice Tower

- on the important peak of Orlice
- built in the 13th century - first mention in 1304
- bought by Kunštáts
- from the 16th century ruins
- in the 19th century Oskar Parish started with reconstruction (continue this days)

Hodnocení referátu Vamberk

Líbila se ti práce?

Podrobnosti

  29. březen 2008
  1 846×
  680 slov

Podobné studijní materiály

Komentáře k referátu Vamberk